What Type of Doctor Treats Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Often when patients experience pain or an injury they know that the services of a specialist are required. But, what type of doctor do they need?

Orthopedic doctors handle injuries and conditions of the musculoskeletal system, and within the field there are specialists. For carpal tunnel, look for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hands, wrists and elbows—sometimes called a hand surgeon.

While orthopedic doctors are called “orthopedic surgeons,” not all carpal tunnel treatment involves surgery. In fact, carpal tunnel is often treated without surgery. Often times a doctor will work with you to alleviate or minimize the activity aggravating carpal tunnel. Other treatments may include splints, medications, injections, exercises and occupational therapy.

If you are experiencing pain in the wrist, contact Dr. Rehman for a comprehensive evaluation. Not all wrist pain is carpal tunnel syndrome, and proper diagnosis is critical to proper treatment.

More Info on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments are closed.